– All Butter Shortcrust pastry recipe recipe
Note – Sainsburys ready made shortcrust pastry is made with margerine and loads of other ingedients!
- Alternatively using a food processor, put the flour, salt and butter in the food processor and pulse until the fat is rubbed into the flour. With the motor running, gradually add the water through the funnel until the dough comes together. Only add enough water to bind it and then stop.
- Wrap the dough in cling film as before and chill for MAXIMUM 30 minutes before using. Alternatively, roll out immediately and line the tin, resting the pastry case in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
Original quantity of pastry will line a 20cm/8in flan tin, or will line 6 x 10cm/4in tartlet tins.
** AH NOTES
- Double ingredients will just make a very THIN base on baking tray and COVER to pie, next time use 3x the ingredients to make a thicker base and COVER..
- Use egg wash around edges to seal top to bottom
- Also egg wash base to seal juices inside and avoid base getting soggy
- Fill base with warm filling, Cover and crimp, and trim.
- Also egg wash surface evenly, with plenty of egg all over to of pie to give pastry a golden instead of dull colour.
- Punch holes in top, and score diagonals if flat enough..
- Bake for 40 mins @ 200c (in UK top oven)
Add 2 tablespoons of caster sugar to the rubbed in butter and flour mix to make a sweet shortcrust pastry. You can also add an egg yolk, before adding the water, for extra richness.
Created by AH from OneNote
Filed under: Blog News