200g self-raising flour
50g caster sugar
1 tsp bicarb
50g melted butter
125g cottage cheese
225g golden sultanas
15g unsalted butter
Serve with lemon juice, icing sugar, maple syrup and yoghurt
1. Mix the flour, bicarb and sugar together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl combine the egg, butter, milk and cheese, then add this to the flour mix.
3. Stir in the sultanas.
4. Spoon some of the mix into a lightly buttered warm frying pan and cook for 1 minute each side, until golden.
5. Serve a stack with the accompaniments.
Sunday Brunch – Articles – Golden Sultana and Cottage Cheese Pancakes – All 4
Sent from Anitas Samsung tablet
Childhood memories : Simple Semolina dinner…
Boil 1/2 pint of milk, then turn down heat to minimum and add semolina (1/2 cup perhaps, TBC)
Stir continuously until mixture thickens to consistency of unwhipped double cream, takes about 5 minutes…
Serve on a large plate, tilting plate so semolina spreads evenly over whole plate
Sprinkle on sieved icing sugar and grated plain chocolate.
I Went to the “Friends of Kanaha” July the 4th party yesterday which in the States was what they call a pot luck party. Everyone brings a dish, any dish.
I brought my Guacamole and it was a hit! I promised the recipe to someone there, so here it is.
It takes just as long to prepare as it does to take the ingrediants out of the fridge, add them to the bowl and mash them all together.
- 2 ripe Hass Avocadoes
- 1 heaped dessert spoon of Best Mayonaisse
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch of finely chopped chives (or a teaspoon of grated sweet onion, Maui Onion perhaps)
- 2 teaspoons of Gardinis Ceasure dressing (optional, but adds a great touch to the final flavour)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 (or less) of very, VERY finely chopped Habanero chilli (to taste) for that smokey flavoured kick.
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese for the final texture
- Add all the ingredients (except for the Feta Cheese) into a large bowl and mash with a fork or potatoe masher (even put in a blender if preferred) until creamy.
- Stir in the feta cheese at the end
- If not served immediately, store in as small a dish as possible, cover with cling film so no air can get to the surface of the mixture (lay the cling film on the mix)
- Store in the fridge or on ice until ready to serve
Serve with fingers of cut vegetables or rice or corn chips.
Tip, try not to touch the chilli with your fingers while chopping and wash the knife carefully after use.
If you have a ceramic hob, then an electric Wok will be your answer to successful stir fries.
This dish is fast and simple, healthy and delicious. Skip the chicken for a great side, or vegetarian dish..
TIP : Make a larger portion than you think will be enough for you, because the vegatables shrink down, and you may wish you had made more.
Ingredients per person
- 1 large chicken thigh – cubed and patted dry with a paper towel or two
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated (or sliced) root ginger
- 1 clover coarsely chopped garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of chopped salad onions (spring onions) – optional – must be dried after washing or the oil will splutter
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil (mixed with sunflower oil to bring to higher temperature without smoking)
- 1 carrot sliced
- Soy Sauce to taste
- 1 large bowl of freshly chopped cabbages and Kale
- 1 large Portobello Mushroom – cut into chunks
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- Heat the oil and add the grated ginger, and garlic and spring onions if using
- Stir until just beginning to brown – this flavors the oil for the chicken
- Add the chicken and stir till browned
- Add more oil on the side if it gets a little dry
- Add the carrot slices, and stir fry a little more
- Add a tablespoon or more of dark soy sauce to keep moist until carrots just begin to cook
- Cook chicken through (takes about 10 minutes of high heat and stirring all the time)
- Add the mushrooms, heat through and stir in well
- Add the chopped vegetables and stir in well
- Add the stock, bring to boil, and stir well, Put lid on wok and turn down heat
- Continue to cook until cabbages are just tender to your liking
- Serve immediately with or without rice
This is a great party snack and a great dip
Buy one large round Camembert cheese
- Remove the Camembert from its box and wrapping
- Wrap in Foil and bake at 180 for about 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, place back in box, open foil and tear away surplus foil
- Cut diagonals into surface of cheese to encourage dipping
Serve with chunks of french bread and garnish with caramelized onions or red current sauce
When sliced thinly EGG OMMELETTE crepes make great toppings for Salads, you can even sprinkle them onto clear soups as a garnish
3 eggs whisked with a fork
water to thin
oil omelet pan for first crepe and wipe with paper towel
cook on one side only for about 20 secs.
stack each ontop of the last one
roll all together and slice into thin slices
add to salad, dress and toss or add as a garnish
Plum and Apricot Semolina Dumplings – Austrian Recipe
I just need to double check this delicious recipe with my mother, to make sure I got it 100% correct, and then I am going to try make it. So please note that this recipe is not tried and tested, yet, but when it is, it is the best meal, or dessert, ever! It was always a real treat during my childhood.
- 50 grams softened butter, salted
- 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked
- 250 grams full fat curd cheese at room temperature
- 125 grams sieved plain flour
- 80 grams semolina
- 8-10 firm Apricots and/or Plums
- Butter and breadcrumbs
- Serve dumplings rolled in golden breadcrumbs with a bowl of sieved Icing sugar on the side.
- For the Dumpling Dough
- Soften butter and whisk in the whisked egg
- Whisk in the full fat curd cheese (room temperature)
- Fold in sieved plain flour
- Mix in Semolina with a spoon
- Add a little salt if unsalted butter is used
- Hand mix into one large ball and rest for at least half an hour
- For the Dumplings
- Boil lots of salted water in large pot
- Make dumplings by making a ball and flatten into a round shape about 1/2 – 1 cm thick
- Place Apricot or plum into the center and work the dough around the fruit really well
- Turn down the heat so the water is not boiling
- Gently place the dumplings into the water with a ladle and ensure they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan
- Bring back to the boil continuing to ensure the dumplings are free from the base of the pan
- Simmer very gently for 10 minutes (15 minutes max)
- Meanwhile, heat plenty of butter in a large frying pan and add breadcumbs
- Stir breadcrumbs frequently until they are golden
- Roll each dumpling in the breadcrumbs to coat the whole dumpling
- Place all dumplings on a serving platter and serve with sieved icing sugar
I’ve used a ready made quiche bases for quick meals and here are some recipes for a variety of custard fillings :-
Making the shortcrust pastry base is actually very easy too
- BASIC – used in Roasted Chicken Quiche
- 4 whisked eggs
- 1 – 1½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 3 whisked eggs
- 1/2 cup milk + 300 ml cream
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 whisked eggs
- 100 ml milk + 200 ml double cream
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large whisked eggs
- 5 fl oz single cream
- 5oz grated mature cheddar
- salt & pepper
- 3 whisked eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 whisked eggs
- 100ml half fat Creme Fraiche
- 2 tablespoon torn basil
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 whisked eggs
- 200 ml carton crème fraîche
- 200 ml double cream
- 50g grated Gruyère
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups of milk (Marty uses skim/non fat milk)
- Butter for pan
- Pinch of salt
- Put ingredients in a blender and mix well, scraping the sides of the container.
- Batter should be very runny
- Use about 1/3 of a cup (or less) of batter for an 8 ½” pan.
Serve with Maple syrup, Countreu, chopped/sliced banana, pineapple, strawberries, papaya, etc and cream
Tip : If it bubbles a lot when you first pour in the batter and swirl it around turn down the heat or take the pan off the heat for a second before pouring in the batter.