Very lemony sponge cake, delicious with coffee. Quick to make and bakes in less than 30 minutes.
For the sponge:
- 200g very soft butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, whisked till airy and at room temp
- 250g sifted self raising flour
- 2/3 level teaspoon bicarb of soda
- juice of 2 lemons (1/2 cup)
- grated rind of two lemons
For the glaze and filling
- Juice of 2 lemons
- same qty of caster auger
- 2 capfulls vanilla essence
- plum jam for filling
- Grease and lightly flour tins
- pre -heat oven to 180C
- whisk eggs in a pouring jug
- whisk butter and sugar until light and creamy and smooth
- slowly add eggs while whisking until nice nd airy
- Add lemon rind and lemon juice with just a quick whisk so it doesn’t curdle
- sift in flour with baking soda and fold in carefully
- Bake the flan dishes for 2 mins until light golden
- Bake the loaf tins for an extra 5 minutes, no more
This mixture is sufficient for two loaf tins and two 4″ flan dishes
For the glaze combine the lemon juice, sugar and vanilla essence in a small pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
Turn out cakes while warm, glaze the top and bottom halves and add a thin layer of jam between layers.
eat warm, as the sides are a little crusty and the sponge very moist And lemony
store wrapped in clingfilm to retain the moisture.
delicious, must make again…