The Caramel is made in the microwave and then the whole thing is baked in the oven
- For the Caramel
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar (3 oz)
- 1/2 cup boiling water (4oz)
- For the Custard
- 4 eggs (yolk and whites)
- 1 egg (yolk only)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 pint mil
- 2 caps vanilla essence
- Put the caster sugar into a shallow pyrex dish
- Add boiling water and stir until sugar melted
- Microwave for 8-10mins until turning light brown, watch very carefully
- Rotate the dish to coat the bottom and sides with the caramel sauce..
- Break eggs into bowl, add sugar and vanilla and beat with a fork
- Heat milk in a pyrex jug in microwave for 2-3 minutes
- Pour milk onto egg mixture and stir
- Strain through sieve into caramel mould
- Stand in bain- marie (roasting-tin containing hot water)
- Cook in oven at 130 C (300 F)for approx 1 hour or until set.
Remove from heat leave until cold before loosening with a knife and turning out.