Makes 6 large fat scones.
- 8oz SR flour OR (6oz plain SR flour + 2oz Wholemeal SR flour)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1oz golden caster sugar
- 2oz softish butter
- Blend dry ingrediants in Food processor with blade
- Mix in 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1 large egg – beaten (at room temp) added to
- 1/4 pint milk (at room temp)
Variation -was low on plain SR flour, makes12 medium scones: made 24thjune 2021
10.5 oz white SR flour | 5 oz WW SR flour | 5 teaspoon baking powder | 1/2 teaspoon salt | 2 oz caster sugar | 5oz melted butter || 1 cup sultanas || 1/3 milk | 2 eggs = 18mins @ 215c until nice and golden
basted with egg | added WW SR flour after mixing cos mixture was too wet = great scones
- Pre-heat oven to 215C
- Add dry ingredients into food processor
- Blend with blade to Make crumbs by adding butter
- Transfer crumbs into a bowl, mix in 3/4 cup dry sultanas
- Add the milk to the beaten egg.
- pour liquid into a well in the mix – reserving some for glazing
- mix the wet into the dry with a fork and make a loose ball
- turn it out on a well dusted work top if quite wet
- Dust the top, and shape gently, To firm up dough a little so scones don’t become too crumbly when baked
- Press gently into a large flat patty over 1″ deep
- Place onto a cold baking tray using dough scraper if needed
- Glaze with fingers, rub in all over top surface
- Bake for no more than 11 minutes unless they are LARGE scones, in which case turn 180 in oven at 10mins, and then bake for two more minutes (total 12mins) or longer if still a little pale..
- Bake until a nice golden colour.